Monday 6 January 2014

Meet our students: Chandula Wickramarachchi, Aerospace Engineering student

Student Intern Phoebe Kimble-Wilde recently interviewed women students in the faculty to find out a bit about the women engineers at the University, why they chose engineering, what interests them and what they want to do in the future. Here she interviews Aerospace Engineering student Chandula Wickramarachchi.
"I have always liked maths and physics so engineering was a logical next step."
What are you currently studying at university?
Aerospace Engineering with a year in industry.

What made you choose this subject? Did anything/anyone inspire you?
I have always liked maths and physics so engineering was a logical next step. Also, my dad’s an electronics engineer so I had already been exposed to engineering from a young age.

What A Levels did you take (or alternative qualification) before university?
Maths, Physics, Chemistry. Product design (AS)

Why did you choose Sheffield University?
Sheffield University has a great engineering programme – especially aerospace.

What do you like most about Sheffield University?
I love the atmosphere and all the different kinds of people.

What do you like most about your course?

The third year group project.

What is the most challenging part to the course?

Some of the computer modules and control systems modules.


What do you enjoy doing? Hobbies and Interests?
I enjoy playing badminton, watching movies and listening to music.

What do you feel about being a woman in engineering?
I feel out of the ordinary in a good way. I really enjoy the fact I do something different and interesting and it makes me feel quite intelligent!

What advice would you give to young girls thinking of studying engineering?
Definitely do it. The career paths are always open and it shouldn’t be perceived as a male only profession because there isn’t anything in the subject that can set the genders apart.

What are your future plans/goals?

I have a year in industry next year and if it goes well, then hopefully I will get a future career in engineering.




1 comment:

  1. What a great ideas have to share about students analysis and http://www.essaypenguins.com/buy-essay this helpful in studies online.

    ReplyDelete